Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Prologue.

I have spent an awful lot of time driving on highway 10, whether taking it to visit my girlfriend (who has since become my wife) during the first three years that we dated, or taking it as the first leg of the trip to visit my family. A whole lot of deep thinking took place on that crummy highway during those drives. When I say deep thinking, I mostly mean very shallow thinking.

At some point, I began writing these thoughts down in a nice shiny notebook. That’s how I started forming material, which I eventually tried performing in front of tiny crowds of surprisingly supportive and receptive people at Open Mics in the area.

This brand of Stand-Up Comedy, often referred to as “observational” comedy, is really just complaining. I realized that I’ve been complaining about things all my life, so why not shout these observations into a microphone. The tone is not always angry, and it’s not always negative, but nonetheless, for me, “observations” is really just a nice way of saying “complaints”.

It has been going well so far. People seem to laugh, and not only my wife and her friends, or really drunk people.

This will serve as a place to collect and organize these types of observations. This will serve as a vague guide to North American life, from one particular point of view – mine. All the basics will be covered over time: Love, Family, Home, Health, Work, Socialization, and Stuff. You know, all that shit. If these topics seem vague, it’s because they are. They will make more sense as the complaints start piling up.

In the comedy clubs there is usually a one or two drink minimum for all those in attendance. Please feel free to follow this guideline before reading any of Highway 10 Revisited.

That's it. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment